Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: flight punch?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hiya all, hope ll is going well for you and you are staying safe.

am after suggestions for a flight punch, have had a couple of the small hand held ones but they have fell apart after a while, so i am after another but am looking for one that will last me.

i only use the bog standard springs, nothing fancy.

would like one that is going to last.

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks.
I used to punch my flights all the time and used the cheap Target one with no problems. I've not punched flights for a couple of years now, but tried it again a month or so ago and the punch still worked well.

If you don't like the cheap ones then there is a Bulls one that is supposedly heavy duty - I've not used it myself but it does look like it will last forever:

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=62157
I would recomend the Bulls flight punch too, it's good quality. At least the one i have.
But I also have a cheap Target punch, which is used very often with no problems.
Maybe there are one or another, that just don't last very long, because of no good production control...?
I’ve got the Target white punch with ‘Play’ written on the side. I gather it’s not worth buying a cheap punch that will fall apart in no time. Buy sh**e, buy twice !
thanks, maybe it is me being heavy handed with the pocket ones, but i am gonna get that heavy duty one.

stay safe, play darts.
That’s a good looking punch.

I’ve had Target one and a cheapo one and tbh they looked and felt identical to me.

Think I’d probably invest in that Bulls one too if I started punching flights regularly.
I added my latest one to a DC order as my freebie and it works fine
(05-03-2020, 11:27 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: [ -> ]I added my latest one to a DC order as my freebie and it works fine

I got that one as well (Mission). For me, it lasted six punches. I got the Target version because it's metal. That one has held up pretty well.

Here's a link to the one I purchased:

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...ts_id=1646
Forgive my stupidity. I’m sick of my flights coming off so I’m looking at buying a punch but have a few queries.
My flights get quite ragged quite quickly so how easy are they to remove with a ring on? Also, I used to use spinners so can I use punched flights with these stems, and if so will the reduce the deflections?
Thanks
James
(05-03-2020, 12:56 PM)21/41 Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive my stupidity. I’m sick of my flights coming off so I’m looking at buying a punch but have a few queries.
My flights get quite ragged quite quickly so how easy are they to remove with a ring on? Also, I used to use spinners so can I use punched flights with these stems, and if so will the reduce the deflections?
Thanks
James

Welcome aboard

Yes they are easy to remove with the ring/spring on.  As far as spinning stems are concerned, if they have metal tops then no you can't use them, but if they have nylon tops (eg Target Pro Grip Spinners) then yes you should be able to use them.  Not sure on the deflections part as I don't use spinners, but I believe that is the intention of spinning stems though.
(05-03-2020, 01:04 PM)mc1958 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2020, 12:56 PM)21/41 Wrote: [ -> ]Forgive my stupidity. I’m sick of my flights coming off so I’m looking at buying a punch but have a few queries.
Thanks
James

Welcome aboard

Yes they are easy to remove with the ring/spring on.  As far as spinning stems are concerned, if they have metal tops then no you can't use them, but if they have nylon tops (eg Target Pro Grip Spinners) then yes you should be able to use them.  Not sure on the deflections part as I don't use spinners, but I believe that is the intention of spinning stems though.

I do punch my flights and I do use the Target Pro Grip Spinners. As far as the deflections, the jury is still out on that and can be debated by both sides. I'm on the side believing they do aid in avoiding deflections. I think there's a reason not to have spinning shafts as the first dart's flight can't be used to carom another dart into an intended target if the shaft spins. I'm talking theoretically, as I'm not THAT good to purposely do it.  Blush Wink
I've got the Harrows punch and it works well. I had one for ages and when it had started being a bit blunt I gave it to a mate and bought another one. Other mates have either Target or Bulls and they work the same. I also got some Mission ones and gave or sold them to mates. One of them is already broken... At the first glance the Mission one seems to be very similar to the Harrows, but the Harrows one has a metal handle (the part that is pressed) while the handle on the Mission punch is made of plastic. That could be the weak part probably. I must say though, that the mate who broke it was punching three flights at once...
Thanks
James

It's easy. It's almost the same as without the punched flights. It only holds flights ten times better. With the Unicorn Gripper 2 or 3 stems it's only two times better though... Other thing you should consider is, that with the punched flights it's more comfortable if you carry your darts assembled all the time in a case that is designed for carrying assembled darts. I've got a mate who just folds the flights and put his darts into a slim case and I also know one who is patient enough to dismantle them before putting into a wallet.

Also, with spinnig shafts it is very likely that you may pull the spinning top of the stem out of the base easier than you can pull flights themsleves from the shaft! BTW, you can use punched flights even with metal shafts, however they're not designed for using with metal shafts and it would cause a lot of robin hoods because there would be a gap between the ring and the thin top of the shaft.
I also have the target brand with play written on the side. It works great and was pretty inexpensive.
Back in Feb last year, I bought myself a cheapie no-name flight punch on ebay for about $3AU. That's about 1.5 of your Boris pounds.  I have punched dozens of flights for me and friends with no problem. I don't really know how something as strong as a steel punch can have problems punching holes in thin plastic flights.

I use some of those punched flights on spinning stems with no problem. I don't know about the spinners and stopping deflections but I know that pulling tightly grouped darts out with spinning stems is a lot easier.  I still prefer my Red Dragon Nitro-Techs though.