Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: I quit my dart league after 1 night.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So back in march I played one night of leagues and quit. It was due to multiple reasons. The biggest was its only soft tips. Next was a tie between it being a team league and the drinking. Next was the fact that the machine would skip your first turn depending on how well you played. The last reason was they had a freeze rule. Don't get me wrong I enjoy throwing darts. Just at least the way leagues are played around here I do not enjoy them

Anywho just thought I would let you guys know.

Thanks
The machine skipped your first turn ? Care to elaborate about that?

And if the biggest is soft tip, that's no big deal. In Singapore where I'm from, soft tip dominates. I've been in league for 3 years now and slowly climbing my way up, eventually getting into a steel tip league that was freshly created a couple years ago. So why did it become too much for you in just 1 night? From what I read, other than 'skipping turn', all seems normal, even the freeze rule because that's a standard game.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
(04-23-2020, 11:57 PM)LethalEagle Wrote: [ -> ]The machine skipped your first turn ? Care to elaborate about that?

And if the biggest is soft tip, that's no big deal. In Singapore where I'm from, soft tip dominates. I've been in league for 3 years now and slowly climbing my way up, eventually getting into a steel tip league that was freshly created a couple years ago. So why did it become too much for you in just 1 night? From what I read, other than 'skipping turn', all seems normal, even the freeze rule because that's a standard game.

So in the first turn of the game for each player it would depending on how well you played the last game it would let you throw 1 or 2 or 3 throws. Sometimes it would skip you completely. It would say hop when it did this. You like playing with a freeze rule?
Freeze is a standard game in soft tip league, just as long you can keep scoring well to prevent yourself from being frozen. I've never heard of this whole Hop thing though. Is this Dartslive or some other machine that you're using?

(04-24-2020, 12:25 AM)LethalEagle Wrote: [ -> ]Freeze is a standard game in soft tip league, just as long you can keep scoring well to prevent yourself from being frozen. I've never heard of this whole Hop thing though. Is this Dartslive or some other machine that you're using?

Bullshooter I believe.
Is that what they call spot darts. The league I am in is NDA and the handicap is designed to make everyone equal. Sucks
(04-24-2020, 03:17 AM)Blanton Wrote: [ -> ]Is that what they call spot darts.  The league I am in is NDA and the handicap is designed to make everyone equal.  Sucks

So you don't like the handicap system? Also I am not sure if it is called spot darts.
I'm lost:-) Freeze rule, skipping first turns, handicaps...something about sand bags or something like that comes to my mind. Then the thing about the full bull/split bull (not sure when either applies). I read about it here on the forum quite often, but when it comes to explaining it to my mates here in Czechia, I simply can't. We play soft tips here too, actually there's more soft tippers than steel tippers, but we play it the same way as we play the steel tips. And we use dartboards with dimensions of sisal dartboards. The only difference is that in soft tips, the game of 501 is limited to 15 turns (45 darts) and then comes the bull-off.
Going a bit stir crazy. No one else has issues or such with handicapping?
We have multiple tiers of soft tip here. We have our handicap league which is where I started when I first got into darts. As my skill went up I was asked by some guys who play in our "A" league to join them. No handicap. There are multiple tiers in our A league as well. A, AA, and AAA. I liked our handicap league because it gets people who aren't that great at darts to throw. The sport can only grow if we get more and more people to play. The handicap does a good job at that. I have friends who aren't very good still in the handicap league and they really look forward to league night. If they played in my league, they would get stomped and might lose motivation to play. In handicap league they atleast still get the chance to win. And I don't understand your issue with drinking. Its darts. Even pros drink... I also have steel tip leagues in my area. High level players that also drink in that league. If you have aspirations of playing in leagues that somewhat mirror like the PDC, you got to start somewhere. Atleast in the soft tip leagues you can gain experience playing in a somewhat competitive environment.
(04-25-2020, 06:30 AM)Tek_FPV Wrote: [ -> ]We have multiple tiers of soft tip here. We have our handicap league which is where I started when I first got into darts. As my skill went up I was asked by some guys who play in our "A" league to join them. No handicap. There are multiple tiers in our A league as well. A, AA, and AAA. I liked our handicap league because it gets people who aren't that great at darts to throw. The sport can only grow if we get more and more people to play. The handicap does a good job at that. I have friends who aren't very good still in the handicap league and they really look forward to league night. If they played in my league, they would get stomped and might lose motivation to play. In handicap league they atleast still get the chance to win. And I don't understand your issue with drinking. Its darts. Even pros drink... I also have steel tip leagues in my area. High level players that also drink in that league. If you have aspirations of playing in leagues that somewhat mirror like the PDC, you got to start somewhere. Atleast in the soft tip leagues you can gain experience playing in a somewhat competitive environment.

Don't have steel tip here. What did Blanton mean by spot darts? Drinking was a minor issue to me. If it was the only issue I could over look it. I personally do not drink much. Like at most I will have a single drink twice a month. I personally would prefer to loose a game then have a handicap. but that is just me personally.
(04-25-2020, 06:30 AM)Tek_FPV Wrote: [ -> ]We have multiple tiers of soft tip here. We have our handicap league which is where I started when I first got into darts. As my skill went up I was asked by some guys who play in our "A" league to join them. No handicap. There are multiple tiers in our A league as well. A, AA, and AAA. I liked our handicap league because it gets people who aren't that great at darts to throw. The sport can only grow if we get more and more people to play. The handicap does a good job at that. I have friends who aren't very good still in the handicap league and they really look forward to league night. If they played in my league, they would get stomped and might lose motivation to play. In handicap league they atleast still get the chance to win. And I don't understand your issue with drinking. Its darts. Even pros drink... I also have steel tip leagues in my area. High level players that also drink in that league. If you have aspirations of playing in leagues that somewhat mirror like the PDC, you got to start somewhere. Atleast in the soft tip leagues you can gain experience playing in a somewhat competitive environment.

Does it mean that different team members of one team had different handicaps? Sounds a bit strange to me. Or is it just different leagues divided by handicaps? That seems to be a natural way how to divide players to groups of players with similar level of play. Here in my country it is separated this way: The best players play the Superleague. The second level is the Extraleague. Then it's B, C and D leagues. Would be going on to other levels if there had been more people willing to play darts. It may happen, than certain players from lower leagues are able to beat most players from higher leagues, but surely any Superleague team would easily beat any team from lower leagues.

That's for the leagues. And it wasn't meant to be divided at the very beginning. It just happend that one day too many people wanted to play so the worse teams had to start other leagues etc. And the higher league you play, the higher chances there are to get higher prizes and to represent your country internationally.

In tournaments though it doesn't matter what league you play. Of course, if a begginer bumps into a more advanced player, then he's going to lose probably. That's how the life is. Practice, practice, practice and one day it's going to be you who's the advanced player.
BTW, I don't play at any team league for almost a decade but I can beat players from B, C, D leagues and many from the Extraleague quite easily.
(04-25-2020, 06:51 AM)jaime_lion Wrote: [ -> ]I personally would prefer to loose a game then have a handicap. but that is just me personally.

Me too.
To answer some questions about handicapping. My league which is NDA handicapping rules, the lesser player will receive marks in cricket or points at the start of 501. So depending on the avg difference, they may start with a 20, 19, and B mark from the start. 501 they may start at 450.

I am all for getting lesser skilled players playing, but do not like the formulas to try to make everyone near equal. I much prefer a bracketed league. Say 2-2.99, 3-3.99, and 4 and over. Games may or may not be close and This way you are pushed to get better.

The other issue is that some players will keep their a game low in league because that avg is then used in bracketing for tournaments. Then they play their normal potential in lower bracket since this is where the money games are at.

I have not played with the spot darts handicapping, but I believe instead of the points I explained above, you get X number of free throws at the start of the game. This way at least makes you earn what you get. I do see these leagues have a much wider range of win percentages in the league standings.
(04-25-2020, 09:22 PM)Blanton Wrote: [ -> ]To answer some questions about handicapping.  My league which is NDA handicapping rules, the lesser player will receive marks in cricket or points at the start of 501.  So depending on the avg difference, they may start with a 20, 19, and B mark from the start.  501 they may start at 450.

I am all for getting lesser skilled players playing, but do not like the formulas to try to make everyone near equal.  I much prefer a bracketed league.  Say 2-2.99, 3-3.99, and 4 and over.  Games may or may not be close and This way you are pushed to get better. 

The other issue is that some players will keep their a game low in league because that avg is then used in bracketing for tournaments.  Then they play their normal potential in lower bracket since this is where the money games are at.

I have not played with the spot darts handicapping, but I believe instead of the points I explained above, you get X number of free throws at the start of the game.  This way at least makes you earn what you get.  I do see these leagues have a much wider range of win percentages in the league standings.

Oh boy, just another thing to confuse me more. What these numbers stand for? What's a bracketed league? Why do you tend to make simple things more complicated than they need to be? I wouldn't forbid anyone to play at any league. I mean, if I have a team of good players, we could win the league and eventually promote to the higher one, if we weren't that good, then we wouldn't win it, so be it, but I think it's a noncense to make a league full of players who are reportedly of the same level.

BTW, starting 501 on 450, just because someone thinks it's fairer, is completely wrong, methinks.
Pages: 1 2