Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Quality surrounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had an annoying noise problem recently with my new Winmau Blade5 board.  I hated the sound the board made when a dart hit it.

It wasn't the volume of the noise, it was the tone.  I partially fixed it by replacing the rota-lock wheels on the back of the board with some old rubber mountings from a record player. Better but still not great.

I accidentally fixed the problem because my old dartboard surround was looking a bit sad so I bought a new Winmau surround. The new surround was made of a much more dense rubber material  and was quite a snug fit.

The difference in volume and tone was remarkable. It's almost too quiet now but the annoying sharp "pok" sound is gone.

The Winmau surround was only $15 AU more than the cheaper one so I won't be so quick to grab the cheap alternative again.
Which surround is that? I noticed the other day that one of my dartboards was quieter without surround! At least it sounded very differently. I'd say it was more quiet without it. I noticed that difference only with one of the dartboards I had at home at that time. On the other hand, my surround is made of polestyrene...
What model do you have?  I have the Winmau Pro 50 and noticed a noise reduction.  Which I put down to the tight fit and material.
(07-10-2019, 08:30 AM)elevendarter Wrote: [ -> ]Which surround is that?

The invoice just says  "Winmau PLAIN Red Dartboard Surround - SUR017"

This one on Darts Corner looks like it
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=66026

As I mentioned, it is very dense.  I deliberately threw a couple of darts at it tonight and the holes seemed to heal over.

I don't know much about plastics unfortunately but with my surround pressed firmly against the backing board and being such a snug fit, I think it's trapping any noise coming from the rear of the board.
I’ve been shopping surrounds too. Unfortunately, I live in the US so for a large item I’ll have to go through Amazon due to shipping prices. The only ones I can find similar are the Vipers. Do you know if they are similar?
Amazon should have one piece Vipers which would be the same, they also might carry the 4 piece puzzle ones, they work ok too but dont always fit boards as tight
(12-29-2019, 05:24 AM)Crusher17 Wrote: [ -> ]Amazon should have one piece Vipers which would be the same, they also might carry the 4 piece puzzle ones, they work ok too but dont always fit boards as tight

I just got the viper one from amazon that is a 4 piece puzzle. It fit my Winmau blade 5 along with a solar flare on it.
If my surround is placed to the wall it sounds "puff" and if there is space between the surround and the wall it sounds "kop" (whether winmau or unicorn).
(12-30-2019, 10:36 AM)bosmajor Wrote: [ -> ]If my surround is placed to the wall it sounds "puff" and if there is space between the surround and the wall it sounds "kop" (whether winmau or unicorn).

The surround definitely changes the sound of the darts hitting the board. My wife send she barely hears me playing darts in my office with the surround now.
I recently ordered a designa surround from dartscorner and im very impressed by it. It stretched over my one80 gladiator III board pretty smoothly, ive had a dart penetrate it twice and cant notice the holes from my throw line. Seems very well made and was only about $20 before shipping costs. I cant imagine some of the bigger name brands offer anything more special in terms of quality. Seems like a straight foward product