Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Finally Finished my Soft Tip Point Review.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

After throwing a lot of different soft tip points on different weight darts, here are my thoughts, feelings, and conclusions after doing this test.  

First of all this review is based on the factors of the equipment I’m using, and my style of throwing.  I’m a soft thrower.  After years of playing long games I’ve went to the soft throw, because my arm would get less tired so my accuracy stayed better for a longer period of time.

There are a lot of factors which can contribute to a soft tip points life.  Some of the factors being; not throwing the dart exactly straight, total dart weight, design and composition of the point, times being hit by subsequent darts being thrown, times hitting the floor after a bounce out, being a hard vs soft thrower, board hole and backstop design, etc...  

My recommendation, which you will hear from many players, is go through the process of testing points, barrels, shafts, and flights for yourself.  There are just to many factors to tell you "this point" (whatever point is being talked about), will be the one you should use.  Your home board (HB) is going to be in much better shape than a public board (PB), along with HB vs PB being designed differently.  Personally, I found that I prefer different soft points for home vs public boards, because the one that sticks the best and releases the easiest in my home board, is not the best for a well worn public board.

Test Equipment:
The dart weight configurations that the points were tested on were 15g, 16g, 17g, 18g, 19g, 20g, 21g, and 22g.  I used 6 different brands of barrels, and noticed no appreciable degradation with the performance of the different points tested, based on barrel brand or style.  I used 3 different brands of metal shafts at long, medium, short, and extra short lengths.  Again, I noticed no appreciable degradation with the performance of the different points tested, based on shaft length. I have found that using o-rings greatly extend soft point life, because the point remains tighter in the barrel.  So, all points had o-rings on them during my testing.  The boards used for the test was a new Gran Board 3 (HB), and 5 different boards at local pubs.

The Rating System being 1 to 5, (1 being terrible performance, and 5 being the best performance), or low to high.  

Performance Parameters: 
Longevity With Darts Over 18g
Longevity With Darts Under 18g
I found that there was much slower point degradation for darts grouped at 18g and under, and darts grouped at 19g and over.  18g/19g darts for me was that balance point where I saw a major change in degradation rate of the points for these 2 weight groups, which I found interesting.
Easy of Release from Board
Bounce Outs
Ease of Becoming Bent
Ability to Straighten When Bent & Reuse
Tip Breaks 
Price

Dart Soft Tip Points Thrown:

I’ve listed these points from my most favorite to my least favorite points.  

LIPPOINT PREMIUM SOFT POINTS
Longevity With Darts Over 18g - 5
Longevity With Darts Under 18g - 5
Best for Home or Public Board - Gran HB 5
Easy of Release from Board - 5 HB
Bounce Outs - very low HB, medium PB
Rate of Becoming Bent - very low 5
Ability to Straighten When Bent & Reuse - 5
Tip Breaks - very low 5
Price: Very expensive as you can only buy in packs of 30 points.
General thoughts: I only use this point on my Home Board.  I have yet to have one of the tips break.  I have had to throw them away, because the point looses its ability to stay straight, which seems to take 3 to 5 weeks of daily use.  Great colors.  They need a smaller diameter o-ring than all the other points tested.  I wish this company would sell these in 100 and 250 piece packages with a volume discount.

FIT POINT PLUS SOFT POINTS
Longevity With Darts Over 18g - 5
Longevity With Darts Under 18g - 5
Best for Home or Public Board - Public Boards 
Easy of Release from Board - 5 PB, 3 HB
Bounce Outs - very low 5
Rate of Becoming Bent - low 5
Ability to Straighten When Bent & Reuse - 4
Tip Breaks - moderately low 5
Price - moderately high 
General thoughts: I only use this point on Public Boards.  As this point has a little thicker diameter point, it has less bounce outs on public boards.  It’s life span is comparable to the LIPPOINT above, but color selection is not as good.  Price is a little better as points are sold in packages of 50.  The only con is that it needs a specific wrench to tighten and loosen the point, but you get 5 wrenches in a 50 piece package.  

TARGET PIXEL TIP SOFT POINTS
Longevity With Darts Over 18g - 3
Longevity With Darts Under 18g - 3
Best for Home or Public Board - no difference 
Easy of Release from Board- 4 HP or PB
Bounce Outs - medium 3
Rate of Becoming Bent - medium 3
Ability to Straighten When Bent & Reuse - 3
Tip Breaks - high
Price moderately - high
General thoughts:  I was disappointed with this product, as these points snapped more than any point I have ever used.   The points snapped at the location of where the end of the point widens going to the barrel.  I expected much better performance for the price point.  Would not buy again.

1000 1/4" MAGIC PRO POINTS & TUFFLEX TIPS
Longevity With Darts Over 18g - 2
Longevity With Darts Under 18g - 3, 15g -4 (for an experienced thrower)
Best for Home or Public Board - Both
Easy of Release from Board- 4
Bounce Outs - medium 
Rate of Becoming Bent - high
Ability to Straighten When Bent & Reuse - medium low
Tip Breaks - moderately high
Price - cheap
General thoughts: I am putting these 2 brands of points together, because their performance was very close.  For someone starting out throwing darts, I would recommend both these points.  For $22 you get a 1000 points. Someone learning to throw is going to destroy a lot of points anyway, until they start to get their form perfected.  When I started throwing this was the only quality of point I could buy.  If anything lower quality points forced me to become a better thrower.

In conclusion.  I’m really glad that I did this test for myself.  After all these years of throwing darts, I have learned a lot.  I forced myself to try all different kinds of configurations and weighed each different setup.  Which got me to focus differently on throwing.  The difference was not the mechanics of the throw, but the mental focus of how the weight difference affects the thought of the throw.  If this makes any sense.

Any and all comments on parameters I missed in my testing would be greatly appreciated.
Great write up!  I've 'stuck' this thread so it'll stay in the "Important Threads' section.  Nice stuff! +1

Edit:  Only problem might be the external editor you seem to have used.  Some members might see a bunch of html code.  I can fix it, or you can with this FAQ:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=36759

Edit 2:  Removed external formatting codes
Thank you very much Nixer55 for the nice compliments.  

I would appreciate you fixing the text in my post, this time.  I have tried writing my posts in your editor, but have had issues with it freezing and having to start over again.  This has happened with other online editors too.  I am ios pages and note pad.  I wrote this in notes, but when I pasted it in the text went to size 36, so I copied the text into pages to reduce the text size. On my side I don’t see the text issues.  I’ll look for a better app to clean the text, then post it or send it to you to see if it is cleaned of the html codes.

Thank you for your help in cleaning the text.  Exclamation  Big Grin
Don't worry about it for now, it's already fixed. Smile

I'll have to modify the forum guide to account for the fact IOS doesn't ship with a plain text editor.  Pages is not - you have to get one from the app store apparently.

cheers...
Very nice read! And great reviews btw! Id be interested to see how you think the unicorn checkout finger tips stack up to the competition. Lol IMO They are the greatest tips on the market, but most people around where I live don’t even know they exist.  Smile Cheers!
Wow good stuff
Nice review! I have used Target Pixel Tips, while I really like the design and the ease of release from the VSphoenix boards, exactly like what you found, premature breaking on the Pixel end near the cone shape. And there I have to use pliers to remove it.

After finishing this pack, I won't buy any more of Target Pixel Tips. Going back to Harrows H-Points at the moment. Looking forward to try those Japanese points that you rated!
A great review...excellent job. This info would be priceless to a newcomer but it is also of use to all. a plus 1 to you.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Great post, I found it very informative. I have tried a number of different points with different results, one thing I just cant stand are the more brittle ones that break off in the board, which means you need to unscrew the board and clear the blocked hole.
So I will always stay away from the ones you listed as high on the tip breaking list. Thanks.
Nice review but I have to dissagree with your review of the pixel tips. I think the various tips perform better or worse depending on the boards being used. I don't think it's as black and white as you make out.

I use quite heavy darts and was getting a lot of breakages with various tips (bulls and such, cheaper tips) everytime the dart hit the floor (or sometimes the rim outside the board on older board models). Since switching to pixel tips I get very few breakages and they perform extremely well in the boards we use for leagues here in Austria.

I still need to try the Fit Point and Lip Point tips, and will at some stage, but I am happy with how the pixels perform for now.
(05-06-2019, 08:33 AM)Imposter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice review but I have to dissagree with your review of the pixel tips. I think the various tips perform better or worse depending on the boards being used. I don't think it's as black and white as you make out.

I use quite heavy darts and was getting a lot of breakages with various tips (bulls and such, cheaper tips) everytime the dart hit the floor (or sometimes the rim outside the board on older board models). Since switching to pixel tips I get very few breakages and they perform extremely well in the boards we use for leagues here in Austria.

I still need to try the Fit Point and Lip Point tips, and will at some stage, but I am happy with how the pixels perform for now.

Inconsistent quality maybe? My take on Pixel tips is the same as the author. The Pixel grooves seem to be a flaw in the design, the tip itself is very strong indeed, but breaks at the cone area before the tip even wears out itself.

Just like how grooved steel tips break.
(05-06-2019, 08:33 AM)Imposter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice review but I have to dissagree with your review of the pixel tips. I think the various tips perform better or worse depending on the boards being used. I don't think it's as black and white as you make out.

Hi Imposter,  I probably was not clear enough in saying this my review.  My test was based on my equipment and throwing style.  My results are black and white for me, because they are based on what happened after almost 5 months of doing the test.  That is not to say that my results will be the same for others.  Also, I am not in any way, telling anyone what points to buy or not buy.  

I just want to make this clear.  I’m just one person reporting my experience, which is not much of a sample base.  When I first found this site I was curious about how point quality has changed, but did not find much data.  I’m hoping that others will do what I did in reviewing points with a variety of darts at different weights in a focused test.  I think that would be far more helpful than just my review.  

Plus, if my learning experience was not a fluke, I think others will find the testing very beneficial to their game.   

Regards, Rick
hello ,yea fit point plus and lip point premiums are 2 best soft tip point period ,i like fit poits more, because they don’t unscrew like lippoint
(09-30-2019, 10:31 PM)Blaž Benedik Wrote: [ -> ]hello ,yea fit point plus and lip point premiums are 2 best soft tip point period ,i like fit poits more, because they don’t unscrew like lippoint

Exactly this! Fit Point is the best of the bestest.
Pages: 1 2