Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Shot Ronin Yu 23g darts review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNSjnBK_wko

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:click here

Thanks to Shot for sending these darts for review! Smile  These are from Shot Darts new Ronin range and this is the Ronin Yu.  There is a front weighted and a centre weighted model and also soft tip versions too.  The set I am reviewing are 23g and they are also available in 25g.  They are 95% tungsten and have a black ti coating on the barrels and Shots Hi Tec particle coating in red.  The darts are themed around the Samurai Warriors who were without a master, called Ronin and the red and black design is representive of the Samurai armour the Dou.  The darts go through a 9 stage process of manufacture and retail for £79.95.

You can find more info on the Shot site here: https://www.shotdarts.com/darts/ronin-yu...rrels.html

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a slightly smaller and slimmer pack than the previous Shot darts I have reviewed, it still has all info on the pack detailing the contents and a little bit about the theme of the darts on the back.  Inside is a pull out foam insert holding everything in place.  The darts are supplied with a set of Eagle Claw stems with stem rings in black medium size and a custom set of Ronin Yu 100 micro flights in small standard size:

[Image: C1ys5Zz.jpg]

[Image: piAX0TE.jpg]

PICS OF THE DARTS:

[Image: Fjo8m4I.jpg]

[Image: 8xYUjlY.jpg]

[Image: HOkg9rl.jpg]

[Image: wnmgfq8.jpg]

[Image: y3yRP4q.jpg]

[Image: RtLewJK.jpg]

[Image: MiiS09A.jpg]

[Image: Pb6lfUv.jpg]

[Image: 1wYdBFE.jpg]

[Image: fVub7Fb.jpg]

[Image: Nse0ujE.jpg]

[Image: LSBUaio.jpg]

[Image: XvnwnkX.jpg]

[Image: 2oa55Mq.jpg]

[Image: GU53jPL.jpg]

Its a tapered style shape with the front been widest and then gradually tapering thinner to the rear.  The nose is slightly tapered and a smooth section before it gets into the first section of grip.  The front grip starts with a narrow ring and groove then is made up of a double ringed shark fin grip with lateral grooves cut through it, then it ends with another narrow ring and groove.  I would say the grip level here is about high medium.  Around the middle is a smooth band then the rear section has quite an unusual grip design which Shot call Sirius.  Its a mix of thin rings and grooves and bevelled bands with circular indents then lateral grooves cut through its length.  On the Shot site it says its an apex rear grip with over 400 multi directional  contact points.  I would say this section is closer to a medium level of grip.  Then the end of the barrel is a short smooth section.

DIMENSIONS:

[Image: qmhTpdt.jpg]

WEIGHT:

Two barrels were an exact match and the third just two hundredths of a gram heavier:

[Image: ZGKCLuf.jpg]

[Image: a7rgBEt.jpg]

[Image: w38vQHz.jpg]

Weight of full setup as supplied:

[Image: Vsx7ISh.jpg]

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance was towards the front:

[Image: iC9iVZM.jpg]

With supplied setup  it moved very fractionally behind centre:

[Image: U3Q3bja.jpg]

Balance with my own medium, inbetween, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

[Image: MnJd2BI.jpg]

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Right on the double thin shark grip:

[Image: oJ8eQod.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

This is a great looking dart and especially when the light catches the red particle coating it glints very satisfyingly Smile  The grip design is very nicely done and unique looking on the rear.  Once again I like the theme Shot are using with the Ronin/Samurai culture and good to see them continuing darts with themes like this although not sure if they will be running out soon Smile

As a front gripper the darts feel very pleasant to hold and the grip is not as aggressive as it looks and they release nice and cleanly from my fingers so that was good.  I did have a bit of a sore thumb when doing the video so had the odd dart that would catch the sore part which was a little painful lol but its cleared up a little more now and after playing with the darts a bit longer I find the work best when I throw them with more of a pronounced arc.  When I do they fly very smooth and just feel a nice overall balance as a front gripper.

I did not think they were too bad to throw from the middle either but I guess it depends on where you grip exactly, I was mostly on the smooth band but if you need more grip it may not be strong enough for you there.  I thought it was nicely balanced around the middle though and possibly was flying a little smoother overall.

Holding the darts on the rear felt quite comfy and the grip has a fairly unique feel to it.  Its not overly grippy and I would just say feels more of a medium level but it seems like it has little pockets of contact with the skin that seemed to me to interact a little more when pushing the dart forward.  I thought it felt a little more front weighted from the rear and seemed liked it was flying a little flatter through the air for me.

So I think its a dart thats certainly worth a look for front grippers and very likely a good one for rear grippers too if you like a front weighted style.

Quality is very good and the coating just adds that little extra bit of style and class especially the contrast with the glinting red against the black.

Obviously its not a cheap dart though but I can see a fair amount of work has gone into making them but if your feeling a bit flush and keen to splash out then I dont think you will be disappointed Smile

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (great)
Grip: 7.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9 (2 exact)
Quality: 9 (Nice)
Value: 6 (a bit pricey)
Suitability for me: 8 (worked well after a bit more pracice)

Best Feature: Grip Smile
Thanks for the review, Darren.
I like the theme Shot are going with, and your pics do make them look a lot better than my initial thoughts, but they are way out of my price range - I reckon they will be good sellers though - will add to the index in a mo Smile
Great review lovely dart I'd love to try these but 80.00 is steep
Great review as always, as much as i wanna try these price might keep me from buying them but who knows, oh and get your chin out of the way lol
Very nice, they're like Shot's take on the Mambas, I'm not sure if I could justify forking out £30 more than the Mambas (or Deltas in my case) though!
(03-28-2018, 04:19 PM)vanJupp Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the review, Darren.

Thanks mate! Smile

(03-28-2018, 04:26 PM)mc1958 Wrote: [ -> ]I like the theme Shot are going with, and your pics do make them look a lot better than my initial thoughts, but they are way out of my price range - I reckon they will be good sellers though - will add to the index in a mo Smile

Yeah its a pity the price will put some people off.

(03-28-2018, 04:26 PM)Richa Wrote: [ -> ]Great review lovely dart I'd love to try these but 80.00 is steep

Cheers! Smile

(03-28-2018, 04:27 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: [ -> ]Great review as always, as much as i wanna try these price might keep me from buying them but who knows, oh and get your chin out of the way lol

Thanks! LOL chin strikes again! Tongue
Great review Darren. I'm glad you got the time to do these reviews because some of us will never be able to spring for them no matter with the price charged.
But it's very pleasing to the eye and I bet was fun to throw.
(03-28-2018, 04:58 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: [ -> ]Great review Darren. I'm glad you got the time to do these reviews because some of us will never be able to spring for them no matter with the price charged.
But it's very pleasing to the eye and I bet was fun to throw.

Thanks Tom, just been throwing them again, they are flying very nice now I am more used to them, feels like a 180 may be incoming Smile
Great look. Shame about the price!
Another great review! Thanks Darren.
Post that 180 today Mr Getagrip LOL
You need to grip that dart like a Kappa does a Gherkin. Delicate - softly - lovingly... then you won't knock flights off with your chin!

They are a fantastic looking dart, Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things.

Nice review
Great review as always Darren. :thumbup:

Have these in transit as well as a set of Rei's. Wink
Great review Darren!

The shark grip on the front section looks very, very similar to the grip on the now hard to find Alan Glazier Black Diamonds (shark grip with lateral cuts). If so be aware that it'll wear down pretty fast - my Black Diamonds wore down after ~4-5 months exclusive use.  Something to consider given the price tag.

That said I like a grippy dart so YMMV.... Wink
Pages: 1 2 3