Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Dan's DIY Den
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Me being the avid tinkerer that I am, I love to tweak my darts etc. (not to mention my throw! Huh )
So here is a place to post any do-it-yourself projects, no matter how big or how small. Since there is already a thread for the board setup etc, I guess we can keep this one darts related. So... to get things rolling/flying...

Here is how I cut flights. I am a cheapskate, so I always order standard flights and cut them down according to my whims or needs. To do it nicely I have these tools:

[Image: 39272588594_94f03ffbdf_b.jpg]
They are,

Templates. I make mine out of 1mm brass sheet, but old, flat sanded credit cards etc. will do fine.
First I scribe a center line, then place a standard flight centered over the line, and scribe around the edges of one side. No need for both sides. Then with a pencil I start to darken the outside and slowly work toward the inside until I have shape I want. A credit card then can be cut with the scissors, a little over the line, and touch up the edges with a fine file. Brass I cut with a pair of tin snips a little bigger to avoid bending of the edges , and then file the rest. The holes drilled right on the center line aid centering on the flight to be cut. So here I have two templates with four different shapes.

A clamp of some sort. I put little rubber pads on these so the flight and template won't move around. Not totally necessary, but I do it. If one is careful, just holding the template down firmly on top of the flight should work fine.

A scribe. Some sort of sharp needle for or a bent out safety pin... anything sharp to make clear scratch lines on the flight. Even a sharp pencil or felt tip pen is fine. Anything to make a clear line.

A pair of sharp scissors. Before I would just cut along the edge of the template, but there is too much danger that it will move so now I cut along line scribed by the needle.

So with these tools, I just center the template over the center line of the flight, clamp it in place, scribe around the outside edge of the template, remove the clamp and cut with the scissors. I then touch up any rough spots with a nail file.

Not all flights lend themselves to be trimmed because of the designs printed on them, but I like simple anyway.

All there is to it. Not rocket science!
Blush
Thats definitely a way to have your favourites flights in the shape of your choice, great job and thanks for the idea +1
Dont use normal flights, but i love your idea and the DIY tinkering...+1 from me too
The templates look so professional Cool
Thanks, mates!
I must confess that I have been working with tools all my life so many things come second nature to me that might not to someone else, so I will try and show most things in a way that everyone can understand and manage. Things involving my mini lathe are obviously not possible, but I will show them anyway just for the sake of explanation and maybe giving others ideas.
I never thought of an old credit card for a template! DUH!!! Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

I think I'm gonna love this thread!  +1 mate Big Grin
Should be a good thread!

Here's a rubbish tip, haha, but seriously it's obvious and probably has a better solution.........

Glue washing up sponges onto the back of your dartboard surround to stop it pushing up against the wall and have it sit forward on the board.

.. Told you it was rubbish lol
Very clever Smile
Well done on sorting a template etc... :thumbup: 
Plus one from myself too.
(01-31-2018, 03:15 PM)notoffee Wrote: [ -> ]Should be a good thread!

Here's a rubbish tip, haha, but seriously it's obvious and probably has a better solution.........

Glue washing up sponges onto the back of your dartboard surround to stop it pushing up against the wall and have it sit forward on the board.

I actually really like that idea!

Might do this to some flights as well Smile Thanks guys
Not a rubbish idea at all, especially if you have a nice wall behind and long points... and a solid throw! Wink
(01-31-2018, 03:15 PM)notoffee Wrote: [ -> ]Should be a good thread!

If I got it right then I'd say two things. Firstly, the back of surround (at least Winmau surround) is pretty raw and it wouldn't be easy to glue all sponges properly. The second thing is more about the look of it. In the past I wanted to buy some surround which would be as thick as the dartboard and because I couldn't find any I made my own surround from polystyrene and crepe paper. A few years later I bought some original Winmau surrounds to the pub in which we play tournaments and now I like how the dartboard kind of stands out from the surround.
TBH, the only reason why I wanted thick surround was that I was worried that points could penetrate the slimmer surrounds. Which they don't.

....and I've got holes in the wall (furniture etc.) at home anyway even with the thick srurround .-)
With sexy looking darts like my 9FIVE G3, I wanted to make something better than the plastic cones I have made in the past.
Granted, not everyone has a mini lathe, but this could be possible with a good file and a power drill. Unfortunately, my lathe is about 40 years old and well used, and was never a high precision machine to begin with, so even with that I can't make them an nice as I would like to, but certainly good enough for functionality.
Here is one in the works.
[Image: 39123956855_d7aea07d15_b.jpg]
The whole process can be seen here, with the steps explained.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N...0015831822
(02-01-2018, 03:36 PM)DanC.Licks Wrote: [ -> ]With sexy looking darts like my 9FIVE G3, I wanted to make something better than the plastic cones I have made in the past.
Granted, not everyone has a mini lathe, but this could be possible with a good file and a power drill. Unfortunately, my lathe is about 40 years old and well used, and was never a high precision machine to begin with, so even with that I can't make them an nice as I would like to, but certainly good enough for functionality.
Here is one in the works.

PIC REMOVED

The whole process can be seen here, with the steps explained.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42162009@N...0015831822

I have no words...just AWESOME Big Grin

You and Ancient Darter would be a great team Big Grin
That's awesome. I wanted to ask about those golden tridents in the other thread where I had noticed them. Great job.
soooo cool!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4