Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Phil Taylor Signing Boards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Something about watching pro matches from the UK on TV - I notice when Phil Taylor wins he takes the dartboard down and signs the back.  I've never noticed any other pro player do this.  Is this in recognition of his great history of playing darts?
Nah, he's just a pompous twat that thinks he's special.     I've not seen him sign a board when he loses a match either, no matter how big the match is.     When Phil loses, he most often simply trots off stage with a frown on his face after a somewhat weak handshake to the winner.
i remember when peter manley beat him in a game and took board off wall to sign, Taylors face was full of rage!
I'm guessing Gumbo isn't the president of the Phil Taylor fan club Wink
Aha, so any player is free to take down the board and sign it at the end of a match? (I'm assuming, since I've never seen one of these pro matches live, that they hang a brand new board at the start of each match.)

And so it's just that the other players don't do it as often and/or the TV cameramen like to show Phil doing it?
(01-27-2016, 12:37 PM)Yesmmm Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing Gumbo isn't the president of the Phil Taylor fan club Wink

Don't take my post too literal.    I like the guy and appreciate his talent, but he can come off as a real twat some time with the way he has a condescending attitude in interviews, the whole not signing a board when losing thing and the way he likes to play "ring toss" with the surround when he does win and tosses the it over the scorecaller's head in such a disrespectful manner.

I'm actually waiting for Russ Bray to light him up one day when he does that to him.    Now that would be funny.
I believe Taylor is the only player they allow to do this - someone (MVG from memory) went to take the board down after beating Taylor and the ref stopped him.
Don't know if I'm correct but understood it was some form of charity thing, again no idea if he has involvement
"...... Taylor is the only player they allow to do this"
"...... some form of charity thing"

A wild guess - maybe the signed used championship boards go to boys & girls clubs.
He gives them away and I think thats nice IMO.
If, as Sabre says, he's giving them away.....why don't they auction them off for charity? I'm sure a bit of dosh could be raised from selling them off. I find Taylor to be a little bit of a mystery, at times (interviews) he comes off like a complete twat, at others he seems like a guy who you'd buddy around with. I think maybe it's a little of both. Can't deny the impact he's had on the sport. Safe to say that without Taylor the darting world might still be living in relative obscurity.
My one thought is, when he loses I think he tries to leave the stage as quickly as possible and let the winner have their spot.
(01-27-2016, 08:17 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: [ -> ]My one thought is, when he loses I think he tries to leave the stage as quickly as possible and let the winner have their spot.

Unfortunately though his opponent cant do that if Taylor beats them.  He has to suffer the whole circus of taking down the board and be made sign it.  If you do not you look like a sore loser.

I assume he gives them away.  If he does I'm sure who ever gets it would be happy with a board two top pro's signature regardless who won or lost.

Do it all the time or he should not be let do it at all.
Rant over lol
I wonder what they do with the boards after a match is over
(01-27-2016, 08:31 PM)Cyanide Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what they do with the boards after a match is over

The boards in a Wade/Thornton match are fit to be tossed in the bin, at least in the 20 wedges condition.
Pages: 1 2