Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Mega Rare - News of World find.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well, as promised, here is my find from the other week.
I got the feeling it was going for scrap!

[Image: 20150411_093952_zpsktn4jv6w.jpg~original]

[Image: 20150411_094007_zpsklgrevll.jpg~original]

[Image: 20150411_094053_zpss1mqlfrk.jpg~original]

As you can see from the pics, it was badly in need of a clean and a polish!

It took me over 3 hours to get it sparkling again!
It's solid silver (around 400g)

Absolutely over the moon to have got it. I know there are hardly any left of these as they were scrapped for cash.

Takes pride of place in my collection.
All cleaned up-
[Image: 20150411_122546_zpsbfkkxuvy.jpg~original]
Wow - very very nice find
That is a Bonafide treasure... Mega, that is mate. This is what you call a Trophy...

Where'd you pick it up from...? Any idea what year this trophy was awarded.
Well happy!
It finding stuff like this that makes collecting worth while.
It's got G. A. Kidd on it. I think he was an area winner in 1937
Yes, thankfully our fellow member 'Shafted' posted this.
[Image: PR7.jpg~original][

So this is his trophy from 1937.
(04-11-2015, 01:00 PM)stuart180 Wrote: [ -> ]It's got G. A. Kidd on it. I think he was an area winner in 1937

1937...Excellent, utterly perfect. A trophy from the First Decade of the competition when it was a Regional Championships.

I've had a quick look with a few internet searches, for any Regional winning lists, no joy yet...
That's amazing, Stuart. It polished up so well. Looks like there's hardly a dent or scratch on it.
(04-11-2015, 01:10 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-11-2015, 01:00 PM)stuart180 Wrote: [ -> ]It's got G. A. Kidd on it. I think he was an area winner in 1937

1937...Excellent, utterly perfect. A trophy from the First Decade of the competition when it was a Regional Championships.

I've had a quick look with a few internet searches, for any Regional winning lists, no joy yet...

Nice one bud, I will drop Patrick Chaplin an email, I'm sure he has a list that was be helpful
(04-11-2015, 01:17 PM)Humdinger Wrote: [ -> ]That's amazing, Stuart. It polished up so well. Looks like there's hardly a dent or scratch on it.

Just a couple of mini dents, but in good condition considering it's so old
Super nice find bud.
It's now so shiny you can actually see the goomer taking the picture of it. Oh, that would be you. LOL

Nice find and great job getting it cleaned up. I bet the winner is now long since gone, but if still around, I'm sure he'd be surprised to see it in such pristine condition.
I've been digging to find this GA Kidd.

First of all..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_the...ampionship

Quote:The tournament was first organised in the 1927/28 season thanks to the help of the staff on the News of the World newspaper and other volunteers, who helped set up the competition. William Jewiss won the 1927 darts challenge cup sponsored by News of the World and C.N Kidd & Sons brewery in Dartford.

C.N. Kidd = Charles Newman Kidd
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...6&ref=acom

No sons listed though.

There is a bio on this page about Charles Newman and talks about his brewery
https://www.dartford.gov.uk/__data/asset...eaflet.pdf

I've tried different records but no match G.A. Kidd. It doesn't help that we don't know what G stands for...my best guess, George.

Good luck if you want to try figuring out who the G.A. person is.
Wow that's and awesome find Stu!!!! Well done! its cleaned up beautifully too Smile

When you say it was going for scrap, was the guy chucking it out?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5