Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Mega Rare - News of World find.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I opened up my email today and my good friend Karl (owner of A180) shared this with me.

"The one next to this  is worth a lot Silver NOW trophy, the thin one was one of only 15 made, First county winners"

Broken link(s) removed
Cool!
Wow, that's brilliant. Good to see another surviving trophy!
Nice one
Wow Stuart first time I come on in ages and what an incredible find I cant stress how impressed I am, as you well know there really isn't many of these left I'm jealous. Iv'e been through all I have photos etc relating to 1937 and unfortunately can find anything else on him other than him winning his area that year. Prior to the comp being revived after WW2 and going national in 1947 there seems to be a lack of researchable information.
One coincidence is that when the competition was very first played in 1927 with about 1000 competitors and only covering the metropolitan area of London as well as being run by the NOW it was also sponsored by a brewery in Dartford by the same surname C N Kidd and Sons.
A quick search on Google tells me that the Public House he was representing The Alma Inn, Harwich started trading in 1850 and is still going today it has both an internet and FB page https://www.almaharwich.co.uk/ You could try contacting them with information of your find, you never know there may still be family living in the area or maybe one or two elderly patrons can recall either him or know of family. I know we are going back 78 years now but we have no record of his age and he may have played darts locally for many years after, and tales of feats sometimes get handed down.
Hopefully Patrick may be able to shed a bit more information on him, it would be great if he could. Once again an incredible find and congratulations,
(05-06-2015, 08:07 PM)shafted Wrote: [ -> ]Wow Stuart first time I come on in ages and what an incredible find I cant stress how impressed I am, as you well know there really isn't many of these left I'm jealous. Iv'e been through all I have photos etc relating to 1937 and unfortunately can find anything else on him other than him winning his area that year. Prior to the comp being revived after WW2 and going national in 1947 there seems to be a lack of researchable information.
One coincidence is that when the competition was very first played in 1927 with about 1000 competitors and only covering the metropolitan area of London as well as being run by the NOW it was also sponsored by a brewery in Dartford by the same surname  C N Kidd and Sons.
A quick search on Google tells me that the Public House he was representing The Alma Inn,  Harwich started trading in 1850 and is still going today it has both an internet and FB page https://www.almaharwich.co.uk/   You could try contacting them with information of your find, you never know there may still be family living in the area or maybe one or two elderly patrons can recall either him or know of family.  I know we are going back 78 years now but we have no record of his age and he may have played darts locally for many years after, and tales of feats sometimes get handed down.  
Hopefully Patrick may be able to shed a bit more information on him, it would be great if he could. Once again an incredible find and congratulations,

Thanks Shafted, and sorry for that late reply!
I've sent a link of this page to the pub. I wonder if any of the family still drink in the pub?
Sounds like a great piece looking forward too viewing the images of this historical piece
very nice indeed that are these cups a common find and would they all have the winners names on or just dates etc?

Paulie

(04-11-2015, 12:45 PM)stuart180 Wrote: [ -> ]All cleaned up-

Fantastic find  mate as bully's Jim will say great smashing super
this sounds very nice my friend has a silver trophy from 1960
Blinding to see this thread pop up again. Bloody terrific.
Very cool. What a find.
I just came across this thread. Simply incredible!

Sad to see the posts end without solving the mystery of G.A. Kidd.

@stuart180 - Did you ever uncover any history?
New to the forum so only seeing this now but what a find!
WOW! Just Wow!  Smile that thing is a beauty!
A thing of beauty well done finding and great job cleaning looks fantastic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5