Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Mega Rare - News of World find.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(04-11-2015, 01:52 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: [ -> ]It's now so shiny you can actually see the goomer taking the picture of it. Oh, that would be you. LOL

Nice find and great job getting it cleaned up. I bet the winner is now long since gone, but if still around, I'm sure he'd be surprised to see it in such pristine condition.

haha yep that's me! Tried my best but couldn't get a pic without a reflection. Will try and find out about the winner.

(04-11-2015, 01:57 PM)Regulatori Wrote: [ -> ]I've been digging to find this GA Kidd.

First of all..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_th...ampionship

Quote:The tournament was first organised in the 1927/28 season thanks to the help of the staff on the News of the World newspaper and other volunteers, who helped set up the competition. William Jewiss won the 1927 darts challenge cup sponsored by News of the World and C.N Kidd & Sons brewery in Dartford.

C.N. Kidd = Charles Newman Kidd
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg...6&ref=acom

No sons listed though.

There is a bio on this page about Charles Newman and talks about his brewery
https://www.dartford.gov.uk/__data/asset...eaflet.pdf

I've tried different records but no match G.A. Kidd. It doesn't help that we don't know what G stands for...my best guess, George.

Good luck if you want to try figuring out who the G.A. person is.

Nice one, I will keep digging. Would be great to find out some info on the guy. Will email Patrick on Monday, he's bound to have some info. I would love to find out some details of his win.

(04-11-2015, 02:07 PM)Getagrip Wrote: [ -> ]Wow that's and awesome find Stu!!!! Well done! its cleaned up beautifully too Smile

When you say it was going for scrap, was the guy chucking it out?

Thanks Daz, it's my best find so far! Never thought I'd see one let alone have one in my collection.

When i say scrap, i meant that it was being sold as scrap silver hence how dirty it was. The guy flogging it was a bit of an odds and sods seller. God knows where he picked it up from.

Going to have a job doing some research now! Smile
(04-11-2015, 01:57 PM)Regulatori Wrote: [ -> ]I've been digging to find this GA Kidd.

First of all..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_of_th...ampionship

Quote:The tournament was first organised in the 1927/28 season thanks to the help of the staff on the News of the World newspaper and other volunteers, who helped set up the competition. William Jewiss won the 1927 darts challenge cup sponsored by News of the World and C.N Kidd & Sons brewery in Dartford.

C.N. Kidd = Charles Newman Kidd
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg...6&ref=acom

No sons listed though.

There is a bio on this page about Charles Newman and talks about his brewery
https://www.dartford.gov.uk/__data/asset...eaflet.pdf

I've tried different records but no match G.A. Kidd. It doesn't help that we don't know what G stands for...my best guess, George.

Good luck if you want to try figuring out who the G.A. person is.

Well we know from the Regional Winners list posted above that Mr G A Kidd was a resident of Harwich, Essex. So we could look at certain Register Rolls.

Harwich is a small Fishing Port on the East Coast.... The Captain of the Mayflower; Christopher Jones was from Harwich ( at the time Harwich was a Primary Naval base and Trading Port ) and his Ship the Mayflower resided in Harwich Harbour. Prior to the Hiring of the Mayflower for the Voyage across the Atlantic.

We have family friends up in Harwich and have been there several times... up one of the old narrow streets, was some Pub I stopped in for a few Ales... I went outside for a Fag ( I smoked back then ) and opposite this Pub ( really annoying me I can't remember the name of the Gaff ) is an old 16th Century House, all crooked wood beams and Leaning walls, small Lead framed lattice windows, the whole front facia of the building no more than 15/17 feet wide, a small Black Oak wooden front entrance door leaning askew in it's frame.... and next to the door on the white-washed wall is a small Black plaque, perhaps 6" square exclaiming that this was the former residence and family home of Christopher Jones, Captain, Maylfower.

Back in 04 I was last there... it was un-lived in at the time... I wonder if any one's taken the place on.
Wow, talk about right place right time. That is a truly awesome find and a fantastic piece of darts history.
Well done for rescuing and restoring it, a great talking piece for you and your visitor's and good luck with the research into the winner.
That cup is a priceless treasure. I'll bet it'll have a good place on a shelf now
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(04-11-2015, 04:42 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: [ -> ]That cup is a priceless treasure. I'll bet it'll have a good place on a shelf now

Absolutely. Even the missus showed an interest for once!
Super nice!!
Worth approx $252us in silver as of today's prices?
(04-11-2015, 09:54 PM)Cankles of Fury Wrote: [ -> ]Super nice!!

A magician never tells his secrets & a collector never gives away his suppliersTongue
Ah ok wasn't sure if you literally stopped a guy from scrapping it.

Fantastic restore job, you've must have done that a time or two Wink
(04-11-2015, 09:58 PM)Cyanide Wrote: [ -> ]Worth approx $252us in silver as of today's prices?

Yeah, scrap value it's not worth a huge amount.
(Couple of hundred)
As a piece of history, I can't put a price on it.

I just hope my daughter appreciates all this when she inherits it all one day. (No doubt she'll sell it all for shoes!! Lol)
(04-11-2015, 10:11 PM)Cankles of Fury Wrote: [ -> ]Ah ok wasn't sure if you literally stopped a guy from scrapping it.

Fantastic restore job, you've must have done that a time or two Wink

It was a guy who deals in all sorts of bits and bobs.
He was just selling it scrap value on the silver without knowing any of the historical meaning.

as for the restoration, my fingers are killing me lol
Was some serious dirt on the thing
Awesome find!!!!
(04-11-2015, 12:45 PM)stuart180 Wrote: [ -> ]All cleaned up-

Congratulations and a +1 for sharing this great story and the photographs exclusively with this forum.

Get it insured and keep it SAFE.

Cheers
Aye +1 here too and well deserved Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5